Thursday 26 July 2007

The Camera Loves You

At the risk of this blog rapidly turning into merely the result of my Google searches, for the last 24 hours or so I have had The Camera Loves You from Katie Mitchell's recent production of Attempts on Her Life stuck in my head, so in a vain effort to exorcise it I've put it here instead.



As anyone who knows me will tell you, I can get pretty boring on the subject of quite how much I loved this production. Even so, I still think it's a real shame the National didn't release the song as an MP3 without the bit from Scene 9 - The Threat of International Terrorism™ spliced in, but you still get an idea of it from this. As a corrective to all this terrible grovelling, here's Michael Portillo reviewing a student production of Attempts... at one of London's most off-the-beaten-track venues. Lord knows what he was doing there, but the collision of former Tory MP with seminal post-structuralist text through some young women who don't sound terribly original with their stagecraft is fairly fascinating.

Not as fascinating, however, as the following from Quentin Letts in this morning's Daily Mail (I am paid to read it, don't worry) on Playing God at the Soho Theatre:
"I had never seen deaf people on stage before. They stroke each other an awful lot."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I stupidly missed Attempts..., but I'm delighted to say that as a direct consequence of this post I dreamt last night what I can only assume was a totally accurate complete performance of the show. You're right, it's very good.

I hadn't realised it was promenade.

alexf said...

in which case, chris, we await the review...

Lauren said...

Lovely to fall on this blog! I too count myself as a big fan of Attempts. Thanks for the youtube link.